Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect
with the world of disc golf.

CODGC 2024 HOME Forums Let’s Talk Pro Tour Introducing par 2

Tagged: 

• Introducing par 2

Posted by Alex Waterson-Rosso on September 1, 2022 at 4:26 pm

People already don’t respect disc golf as a sport. I was playing a short course. Birdie after undeserved birdie 150 to 200 ft barely any obstacles. I think a short basket with no obstacles should be a par 2. Anybody agree? I’ve disc golfed for less than a year and already have negative rounds. Golfers go there whole life without even reaching a par round. I agree, I believe the accessibility of low scores taints the accomplishment. Even wooded courses it’s plus four or five. I may have a negative round in the woods before winter. What are your thoughts on par two?

Ozark Disc Golf replied 1 year ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Brian Meyer

September 2, 2022 at 10:10 am

I don’t think making short holes a par 2 is really the answer. True, some courses have dinkers that are must-gets. Even some courses are nothing but that type of hole like Waubun and Hillcrest Knoll. I think it is up to the player to adjust where they are playing in order to challenge themselves. If a course becomes too easy, don’t play it. If a hole seems too simple, introduce an “island” landing area. Par 3 has been the standard in both ball golf and disc golf and trying to change would be an astronomical effort so the answer is to evolve ourselves.

• Jake Gorrell

June 20, 2023 at 2:41 pm

Always been a fan of par 2s. Changes the mentality of a short hole. Unfortunately, it’s too gimmicky to catch on.

• Dave Baumrucker

Administrator
      June 20, 2023 at 2:53 pm

I could see this catching on for an optional Pro Layout on Par 3: 9 Hole courses. Disc Golf’s version of an “Executive Course” (all par 3’s).

• Jake Gorrell

June 20, 2023 at 3:11 pm

That’s a great option and I was thinking you could have “junior or mini courses” were it’s par 3 for kids 10 and under and par 2 for everyone else.

• Ozark Disc Golf

July 10, 2023 at 8:55 pm

Par 2 is a no go, while disc golf and golf use a lot of the same terminologies they are vastly different and shouldn’t be compared. I think these are some of the issues we face right now in our sport, trying to be more like golf. I think course designers should strive to make disc golf courses more challenging instead of beginner friendly. This would “fix” the way too easy courses. But, that’s also what makes disc golf so unique is the many different varieties of courses. Disc golf is all about birdie or die, that’s the challenge. We updated my local course to make it more of a challenge, added OB, and changed three holes to add difficulty.