Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect
with the world of disc golf.

CODGC 2024 HOME Forums Let’s Talk Dyes How Real is Too Real?

• How Real is Too Real?

Posted by Dave Baumrucker on August 19, 2022 at 11:47 am

Thinking about all of the incredible designs that can be put onto a disc – this ESP Buzzz has me wondering ‘How real is too real?’ I can image that this disc would definately lead to some interesting reactions if you stumbled upon this in the woods. That being said, some built in security!

Cory Nelson replied 1 year, 1 month ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Brian Meyer

August 22, 2022 at 8:59 pm

Not a huge fan of those new graphic discs. They are not PDGA legal because they are not a dye/foil. It would be a shame to spend time learning and breaking in a disc only to have to remove it from my bag during a tournament. They sure look cool though.

• Dave Baumrucker

Administrator
      August 22, 2022 at 9:08 pm

I did not know that they were not PDGA approved, and I am with you regarding the designs…cool to look at, nothing I will have in my bag.

• Brian Meyer

August 22, 2022 at 9:17 pm

The lamination (or however the image is put in the disc) counts as an illegal disc modification. Kaposia has TONS of discs designed by FestiDaze and that is a common reason why they’re not really moving. Dyes are ok, but stickers or paint are not.

• Dave Baumrucker

Administrator
          August 22, 2022 at 9:37 pm

Ah, I see. That is something that new disc golf brands and companies will need to pay attention to. It seems like more and more players are focusing on competition…better have approved discs!

• Cory Nelson

June 20, 2023 at 5:16 pm

These are from DiscStore.com. I have a custom one that’s pizza and my wife has a cinnamon roll one. I never thought about or realized that these wouldn’t be legal. Good to know. Might just have to pick up another regular one in the same plastic to use.