The pop!

• Brandy Baumrucker

August 19, 2023 at 7:27 pm

Great discussion! This is the first time I’ve heard of “The Pop” and glad we can explore this thought…

I would say my journey towards not being self conscious about my playing abilities and what people think just came about recently on my trip to Texas. I have tons of filmed shots of what a typical beginner throws like, and frankly….I think I shouldn’t hide it or feel bad….this is where I’m at as a player…a true Novice and trying to figure out the ways in which I can take what I know in my head and make it happen in my form.

Perhaps ego is part of it, perhaps insecurities and diminishing myself out of fear that others won’t like or accept me…is in a way ego? 🤔 I’m okay with accepting that fact. It’s true, my sore spot is rejection, we’ve all felt that, so I just recently began to embrace that rejection is sometimes not personal, often times it’s something to do with the other person, and unknow variables. That’s why communicating is important and honest between people, so no misunderstandings persists.

To answer you questions about challeneges, self doubt, financial troubles, family trauma, and self destructive behaviors….yes, the echos of the past due appear for me, yet learning the lesson and reconciliation is important to ensure that ghost of the past disapate as I move forward in life.

Everyone’s story is a unique combination of challenges that are their own, yet the circumstances and challenges humanity faces is common.

It reminds me that I’m the author of own story, this includes the past, present, and future. The past cannot control the present space of mind because the present moment is the most valuable…the state of just being…the present is where one can manifest things into reality. The purpose of the past is to teach, take note of potential dangers and positive rewards, and help guide without controlling one’s state of being fully.

The future is the equivalent of one’s focus in each present moment…moving towards a larger foundation of growth.

The ego cannot exist in the space where gratitude grows.

• Steven Komrofske

Organizer
    August 28, 2023 at 9:30 pm

Introduction

Welcome disc golf enthusiasts! No matter if you’re a beginner looking to understand the basics or a seasoned player wanting to brush up your skills, mastering the fundamentals is essential. In this discussion, we’re going to delve deep into the key elements that form the foundation of disc golf. Feel free to share your tips, tricks, and personal experiences.

Topics to Discuss

<div>Grip

1. Fan Grip vs. Power Grip: Which do you prefer and why?
    2. Importance of Grip Strength: How does grip strength affect your throws?
    3. Changing Grips Mid-Game: Is it advisable or not?

Stance and Posture

1. Athletic Stance: How does it help in adding power to your throws?
    2. Posture: What is the optimal posture for different throws?
    3. Footwork: How can good footwork make or break your game?

Throwing Mechanics

1. Backhand vs. Forehand: What are the pros and cons of each?
    2. Snap: How crucial is it?
    3. Follow-through: Is it just as important as the initial steps?

Disc Selection

1. Types of Discs: What should beginners start with?
    2. Overstable vs. Understable Discs: When to use each?
    3. Personal Favorites: Which discs are you currently favoring and why?

Mindset

1. Mental Preparation: How do you prepare mentally before a game?
    2. Handling Pressure: Tips for staying cool under high-stakes situations.
    3. Mindfulness and Focus: How these mental aspects can improve your game.

Questions to Stimulate Discussion

1. What are some common mistakes you see regarding grip, and how would you correct them?
    2. How has adjusting your stance and posture improved your throws?
    3. For seasoned players, what are some advanced techniques in throwing mechanics you wish you knew earlier?
    4. Are there any ‘go-to’ discs that you would recommend for specific courses or wind conditions?
    5. What role has your mindset played in your disc golf journey, and how can beginners cultivate a strong mental game?

Conclusion

Let’s dig deep into these topics and share our collective wisdom. Remember, we’re all here to improve and grow the sport we love. Your input is valuable, whether you’re a novice or a seasoned pro.

Feel free to join this vibrant community discussion and elevate your game to the next level!

• Steven Komrofske

Organizer
    August 28, 2023 at 9:35 pm

Pre-game Mental PreparationVisualization

Visualization is an invaluable tool in my disc golf regimen. Before every game, I take a few moments to visualize the course, my shots, and even how I’ll handle challenging situations. It helps prepare my mind for the actual game and eliminates surprises, allowing me to perform better under pressure.

Goal Setting

I believe in setting both short-term and long-term goals. My short-term goals often involve improving specific skills or techniques that can be measured and achieved relatively quickly. Long-term goals are more about holistic development—like consistently placing in the top 10 in tournaments within a year. This dual approach keeps me motivated and provides a structured roadmap for my game.

Positive Affirmations

Positive affirmations are crucial, especially when the game starts to lean out of my favor. A simple “You’ve got this” or “Stay focused” can bring me back to the right mindset and ward off negative thoughts.

In-game Mental TacticsFocus

Maintaining focus during crucial moments is essential. Given my work in excavation, where focus and attention to detail are key, I apply the same principles to disc golf. When I’m about to make a pivotal shot, I clear my mind of distractions and concentrate solely on the throw at hand.

Emotion Management

In disc golf, emotional highs and lows are inevitable. Over the years, I’ve learned to manage my frustrations by taking deep breaths and reminding myself that one poor shot doesn’t define the game. Similarly, I temper my excitement, so it doesn’t cloud my judgment for upcoming shots.

Adaptability

Adaptability is something I excel at, thanks to my years in the excavation field. I bring that same skill to disc golf. Whether it’s changing weather conditions or a shift in the competitive landscape, I adjust my game plan and mental strategies accordingly.

Post-game ReflectionLearning from Loss

After a loss, I spend time reflecting on what went wrong without beating myself up. This constructive approach helps me identify areas for improvement and sets the stage for better performance in future games.

Celebrating Wins

A win deserves celebration, but it’s also a stepping stone to higher goals. I savor the victory, and then analyze what worked well, so I can replicate those strategies in future games.

Continuous Improvement

Just like in my excavation career where the learning never stops, I believe in continuously setting new mental goals in disc golf. Whether it’s maintaining focus throughout a game or better managing tournament jitters, there’s always something to work on.

Mindfulness and Disc GolfStaying in the Moment

One technique that really helps is grounding myself by focusing on my breath or feeling the disc in my hand before making a throw. It keeps me rooted in the present and has a remarkable impact on my performance.

Mindfulness vs. Auto-pilot

Mindfulness should be the default mode, but there are instances where auto-pilot is useful, like during simpler, less challenging shots. The key is knowing when to switch between the two.

Breathing Exercises

I incorporate breathing exercises, specifically deep, diaphragmatic breathing, to relax my mind and body. It works wonders for my focus and can even recalibrate my mindset during a tough game.

Mental Toughness and ResilienceBuilding Mental Toughness

Mental toughness can be developed through deliberate practice and facing challenging situations head-on. I keep pushing my boundaries, whether it’s by practicing difficult shots or competing in high-pressure tournaments.

Resilience

Resilience is a quality I’ve built over years of work and play. If I have a few bad throws, I don’t let it ruin my game. I focus on making the next shot count, staying mentally strong despite setbacks.

Role Models

In the disc golf community, players like Paul McBeth and Paige Pierce exemplify great mental toughness. They have this incredible ability to maintain focus and perform consistently, which is something I strive for in my own game.

That’s my take on these aspects. Eager to hear what you all think and what works for you!