What do you consider to be an ad?

• What do you consider to be an ad?

Posted by CODGC Team on September 27, 2023 at 7:41 pm

Seeking feedback on what you think advertisments look like, where you do or don’t mind seeing them within CODGC, and where the line is between promotions/shop links/ads. One aspect of CODGC that makes it unique is that it’s a free space without ads on the site or within the public global newsfeed.

A few questions to guide this discussion…don’t hold back, say anything that comes to mind 😎

• How important is an ad-free space for you on here?
    • Did knowing that CODGC is an ad-free space influence or motivate you to join?
    • What do you think distinguishes an advertisments versus someone’s public timeline post that includes shop links/promo codes?
    • Do you care if the public newsfeed has ads or people listing things for sale or links to visit their shop?
    • Do you care if CODGC lists a page of sponsors or affilate who’re helping to keep the communtiy fee for everyone else?

We want to help everyone connect, grow, and share as they like, yet not knowing what the community considers to be an advertisment vs a general timeline posts about a shop/brand/product is why we need feedback from you.

Your voice matters, tell us what you think!

Jonathan Goldsmith replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 7 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Brandy Baumrucker

Organizer
    September 27, 2023 at 8:01 pm
  • Dave Baumrucker

Organizer
    September 27, 2023 at 8:03 pm

Any and all insights are appreciated! Thanks everyone!

• Steven Komrofske

September 27, 2023 at 8:12 pm

I feel that if the advertisements were still related to what this site is about and that’s bringing together a group of disc golfers to a place where it is disc golf and disc golf only. For example zuca ads, innova ads, pdga, pro tour news etc. Where people still have that opportunity to brand themselves and advertise their disc golf related business. Just thoughts…would really hate to start seeing ads for digestion pills or the random crap we get fed on facebook.

• Brandy Baumrucker

Organizer
        September 27, 2023 at 10:33 pm

I agree, it would ONLY be disc golf related. Random ads about anything is not only annoying, it’s just not right, especially for an disc golf centered space. Great feedback as always @discgolfmindset !

• Josh Deibert

September 27, 2023 at 8:46 pm

Ads Free depends on the type of ad and how it applies to the app (at least in my mind). Without sponsors or ads it’s hard to keep an app or site going, so I get it. I will add (pun intended) that I usually opt to buy Ad Free versions of apps or services.

People promoting their shop or sponsors seems like part of the business of disc golf so I can’t fault them for doing it.

• Brandy Baumrucker

Organizer
      September 27, 2023 at 10:42 pm

@joshdeibert any thoughts on where it would be plesant and okay to view ads inside the app/community?

Yes, an ad-free option that’s paid through a membership was something we’ve considered in the past and decided to keep it free to limit the barrier to entry for everyone globally. There’s a lot of membership apps and sites out there in the disc golf space, so the team wasn’t sure if this would be received as just another paid app. We’d really like to keep it free if possible, and if there was ad placements, it would be just DG related.

Also the idea to keep it free and without ads was brought up because we want to make sure people can distinguish between an online community and social media. See one example of differences below…

• online community (users own data and can delete their personal data, no selling of public info for ad revenue/targeted ads, no algorithm)
      • social media (using people’s data to sell to third-parties purely for ad revenue. Ads target all free users on the site based on their demographics, users may not be able to remove or own all their personal info from the site).
  • Chris Leonard

September 27, 2023 at 10:36 pm

Outright advertising is something easily scrolled by. For sponsored players its in some cases a necessity or requirement by their contract to engage social media X number of times. For the platform to outright block this type of posting may limit the reach and engagement of sponsored players

• Brandy Baumrucker

Organizer
      September 29, 2023 at 12:31 pm

You bring up a great point @belizediscgolf – thanks for reminding me of this! CODGC has updated Policies and Terms along with a new Community Guidelines page that matches all the changes. We’ve now made it free for everyone to promote without restrictions. This includes sharing external links in the global News Feed and allowing Public Group Privacy Settings for brands/shops/selling groups.

• Jonathan Goldsmith

September 30, 2023 at 1:07 am

As someone who eventually wants to advertise on a site like this and hope that this is my primary site for advertisement and community engagement, I really want to advertise. I agree that keeping things disc golf specific would be nice, although a hard line to draw at times.

I’ll call it as I call it but I’d prefer to keep my “ads” as organic as possible. Not sure what’s the best route for that but if my “ads” would be cool/visible and not scrollable BS for users that would be even better. I scroll past so many FB and Insta ads (I will try that platform as well to advertise).