Welcome Page (Onbaording)

• Welcome Page (Onbaording)

Posted by Brandy Baumrucker on September 26, 2023 at 5:21 pm

What do you think about new members having a Welcome page that pops up upon first login to the app/platform?

This would only be once, yet would include items like…

• Brief 30-60 second video from CODGC team as a welcome and an overvieew of the: community guidelines, best practices, and where to find resouces/contact support
    • Page would outline where to find resources like Community Guidelines, Tutorials, Support for both platform and mobile app
    Josh Deibert replied 11 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Kurt Thomits

September 26, 2023 at 5:31 pm

I like the way the page is laid out and the info included. My first thought is that as a new member i would click on one of the topics ( making an assumption they are links) then not be able to get back to that landing page again. Would it just move you directly into the app?

To be fair the app is not super initiative in some places so having a welcome/landing page like this for reference would be awesome.

Another question- what problem is this welcome page solving? And is it one the app could be better structured to address?

Sorry for the brain dump / steam of conciseness response

• Brandy Baumrucker

Organizer
      September 26, 2023 at 6:05 pm

Thank you @TrashPandaDG for your feedback and ideas!

I like the way the page is laid out and the info included. My first thought is that as a new member i would click on one of the topics ( making an assumption they are links) then not be able to get back to that landing page again. Would it just move you directly into the app? Yes, they are links. I’m considering making the photo you’re looking at be what you first see on the Community Guidelines page. Regarding the ‘Welcome’ pop-up page, I think it’s best to keep it simple with only one Call To Action being watching the short Welcome video and the other to click on “Start Here” button which will direct users to the Community Guidelines page with design elements from the image I shared. Sorry for the confusion, this image was just a staring place in the design process.

To be fair the app is not super initiative in some places so having a welcome/landing page like this for reference would be awesome. I appreciate your feedback, I’d like to explore ways to make the app navigation more intuitive. What areas specifically do you think can be improved?

Another question- what problem is this welcome page solving? And is it one the app could be better structured to address?

1. The “Welcome” page would solve the problem of new members not being introduced to what the online community is about, values, where to start, what to explore, and how to get the most out of the community. It would also allow the CODGC team to personally welcome everyone and provide a common onboarding/introduction to the community. A guide to start their journey and where to go if they need help or have questions.
      2. The team is working to make Group Types (Leagues, Tournaments, Clubs, Events, Brands, Non-Profits, General Interstes) indivudally found on the app’s “Home” page and easier to find in each of their own directories.
      • Kurt Thomits

September 26, 2023 at 7:48 pm

Oh i see. Yeah this makes more sense now that you explained it a little more. I really like this.

• Brandy Baumrucker

Organizer
          September 26, 2023 at 8:09 pm

I appreciate the questions, please share what aspects of the app you think needs to be more intuitive for you. There may be navigation or organization options that I can change or put on the roadmap to improve in the future.

• Brandy Baumrucker

Organizer
    September 26, 2023 at 6:08 pm
  • Steven Komrofske

September 26, 2023 at 7:00 pm

Love this!

• Brandy Baumrucker

Organizer
      September 26, 2023 at 7:16 pm

Thanks Steven! If you find any areas of the app that can be improved navigation wise or made to be more intuitive, feel free to share.

• Dave Baumrucker

Organizer
    September 26, 2023 at 8:11 pm

Appreciate all the feedback!

• Josh Deibert

September 27, 2023 at 6:45 pm

I know that would have helped me. The app is pretty intuitive but I’m definitely still trying to figure out what to do where.

• Brandy Baumrucker

Organizer
      September 27, 2023 at 6:55 pm

Thank you for your feedback @joshdeibert !

Any areas specifically that can be improved? For example: groups, discussions, post, player profile, blogs, etc.

We have a “More” tab, curious to know if you explored that when you first joined or are yet to do so. We have a lot of options inside that section, yet not sure if people are making their way over there to that area or just staying inside the Activity/Newsfeed.

• Josh Deibert

September 27, 2023 at 7:11 pm

Ironically I went to the More tab before figuring out the Activity/News Feed 😂

The only thing I can suggest is maybe having some guides on how to interact. For example, if you want to just see everything happening use the Activity/News Feed. If you want to use it more like an old school online forum, the Forum section is your jam. If you want an experience more like Reddit go for the Discussion section.

Overall it is well thought out and I’m excited to see where it goes

• Brandy Baumrucker

Organizer
          September 27, 2023 at 7:47 pm

Thank you for these insights, we will be sure to include these items to help everyone navigate the space. 🤙🥏

• Josh Deibert

October 12, 2023 at 1:01 pm

Is there such a thing as default groups or discussions everyone has access to as soon as they sign up? It could help people figure out how to navigate as well as give them a place to ask questions without having to try and make connections before sending a message.

• Brandy Baumrucker

Organizer
              October 12, 2023 at 5:23 pm

@joshdeibert thank you for asking…check out our new mobile app tutorials – specifically “Create A Group” and “Direct Messages & Live Messaging” to explore settings. Go to: “More” tab > scroll down to ‘Resources’ section > “Tutorials”

Is there such a thing as default groups or discussions everyone has access to as soon as they sign up? The first place people land on inside the app when they login is the ‘Home’ page. This has a Forums and Discussions section there. Not sure if we can auto-assign people to discussions since they are tied to groups. People can join group and then access the discussions from there (without having to connect with people first). Connection requests are meant to be sent to people when they want to Direct Message someone individually or with multiple people. Group Messages are different, as long as you’re apart of the group, and the Organizer makes the group message feature acessible to all members, then you can message everyone inside that group message. Direct Messages are like FB Messenger and are dependant on your connections.

• Brandy Baumrucker

Organizer
              October 12, 2023 at 5:26 pm

I will explore with @dave to see if we can select default Groups. One example would be this ‘Community Feedback’ group that we can make into a welcome / feedback focused group. A place for questions, resources, and feedback on roadmap ideas. @joshdeibert is this what you were thinking or a different type of group for new players to join after first logging in?

• Josh Deibert

October 12, 2023 at 6:45 pm

Yep, exactly what I was thinking. Lower the barrier of entry of engagement, if you will, kinda like having Tom as a friend back in the MySpace days (yes, I’m totally dating myself 🤦‍♂️😂)