Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect
with the world of disc golf.

• Posted by Emily Beach on June 20, 2023 at 6:48 pm

So, even though I play a Pro Tour event almost every week, I still find myself asking my card mates if I can “tap out”. After almost 10 years of playing, it seems like a silly question since it’s a “speed of play” type of thing. I’ve only been carded with one person who wouldn’t allow me to tap out because she “believes in karma”. I thought that was an interesting take, so now I ask every time in case someone else feels the same way. I’ve also had a cardmate who, before the round, announced to the card that she is 100% okay with everyone tapping out and that we do not need to ask her and we all agreed and felt the same way. it ended up being a super smooth round.

I enjoy being a relatively quick player, so I never have a problem with someone throwing ahead of me in the fairway or on a putt. (Just not off the tee…I had a bad experience regarding that last year but that’s a story for another time!)

In your opinion, Is it an unspoken rule to go ahead and tap out without asking, or should you ask every time?

Mark Medlin replied 1 year, 2 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • David Watson

June 20, 2023 at 7:00 pm

Keeping things relatively casual, but professional, goes a long way for me. Halted play, and delays can really derail things. Letting people tap out early, when it makes sense, it’s certainly my preferred type of play. Relaxed… but professional where it needs to be.

• Jake Gorrell

June 21, 2023 at 7:47 am

I think it’s still nice to ask so that way communication is clear and open.

• Aaron Hallberg

June 21, 2023 at 8:16 am

Great discussion topic, I think it is good practice to establish with your card expectations beforehand so as to avoid any unpleasantness or disagreement during the round. I will have to be more mindful of this going forward!

• Mark Medlin

June 22, 2023 at 8:30 am

I think it depends on who you’re playing with. Friends: speed of play. Don’t know ’em: ask. Enemies: speed of play. 😉